My trip to Italy this past summer was the first I’d ever travelled without checked baggage, not to mention backpack only! I had researched and vacillated so much over it but in the end, I wanted to skip the hassle of checked bags, and having all my belongings attached to me at all times as a solo traveller just seemed to make sense. Now I can’t imagine ever going back!
The biggest challenge for me is keeping my makeup and skincare down to a minimum, especially since you can only bring a limited amount of liquids in your carry-on luggage. I’ve learned a few things about minimizing liquids.
- Don’t pack shampoo or conditioner. To be honest, most hotels and even AirBnBs have shampoo for you to use. There is no need to use up your precious space.
- Buy super tiny travel containers. You don’t need a ton of moisturizer for a week and there are really functional containers that hold 10-20mL instead of 100mL.
- Don’t wear a lot of makeup. Ok, I may get some flak for this one, but especially if you’re going to a hot or humid location, you don’t want to wear a lot of makeup unless you love the look of foundation melting off your face.
So that all being said, here’s what I DO bring along:
- A good moisturizer. Right now I’m loving The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA. It’s simple, effective, and a great price!
- A good colour correcting cream with sunscreen. This year I discovered IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+ and I’m a huge fan!
- A solid eyeliner pencil. My new favourite is the Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner in Vivid Sapphire. I might not ever go back to black (I have brown eyes).
- A good waterproof mascara OR lash extensions. When I’m going on a 1-2 week trip, I often will hit up my friend Jesse at Sybella and treat myself to lash extensions. I can’t stand them for much longer than 2 weeks but it is awesome to know my lashes are on point with zero time spent in the morning. If I’m feeling like skipping the extensions, so far my favourite mascara is just a cheap drugstore brand but it works for me: The CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof mascara (aff link).
So that’s it; those are my basics. Sometimes I’ll throw in a little eyeshadow or bronzer but I usually keep it pretty simple. I believe in buying products that perform and last – embracing minimalism for me has been all about choosing quality over quantity.
How do you keep travel simple and manageable? Let me know in the comments!